WSET LEVEL 2 AWARD IN WINES & SPIRITS
Next course is over 8 evenings 7-9pm at The Wine Shop
Tuesday 2nd October – Tuesday 27th November
Mid course brake on Tuesday 30th October (Half Term)
We became an Approved Programme Provider (APP) for Wine & Spirit Education Trust (“WSET”) courses because they are the established benchmark qualifications in the world of wine and spirits, offering a sound framework to support learning.
All of our WSET tutors have passed the WSET Wine Educator Programme, which is an intensive training course in London in which wine educators must pass exacting theory and tasting presentations. We are therefore up to date and understand how best to teach students effectively so they meet the required standard to pass the examinations.
The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits is intended for trade professionals and wines and spirits enthusiasts alike who have a range of knowledge from beginner level through to intermediate level.
Why do I need to go on the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits course?
Trade professionals need this globally recognised qualification to progress their careers, and to progress their training to the higher levels of qualification.
For wine and spirit consumers, a key benefit is the training in how to taste in a systematic way to get the most from the drinks you enjoy, by sharing your tasting experiences with your tutor and your fellow students. The SAT card (see below) is a handy reference guide you can keep for future use to help you explore new wines and spirits and to appraise and appreciate them.
To read more about why the course is relevant to you please click here to read a blog by one of our WSET tutors.
Do I have to hold the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines and/or Spirits?
No – but if you are a beginner, you might want to take the Level 1 course first to gain confidence.
Prior to booking we will discuss your needs to make sure you are taking the right course for you.
What will I learn?
- How wine is made
- What factors influence wine style
- The key white and black grape varieties and their characteristics
- The important wine-producing regions of the world in which these grapes are grown
- The production of sparkling, sweet, and fortified wines
- Label terminology
- Food and wine pairing principles
- The principal categories of spirits and liqueurs, and how they are made
- How to describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
How many hours of tuition time are provided at Level 2?
Guided tutored time is 16 hours, split over either 3 full day classes, or 8 two hour evening classes plus an extra session for the examination. The total recommended study hours including guided tutored time is 28 hours.
Is there an examination?
At the end of the course you sit a 60 minute examination comprising 50 multiple choice style questions, for which you will be fully prepared. NB No tasting involved! The pass mark is 55%.
Do I have to take the examination?
Yes, to attend the course you have to take the examination at the end.
What will I gain?
The benefits of the course as explained above, the WSET Level 2 Award in Wine & Spirits Certificate, a WSET lapel pin, and you will be able to use the WSET Certified logo. This is a globally recognised qualification.
What is the cost of the course?
The course costs £325 – but if you are employed in the wine and/or hospitality industry your employer might pay your fees by prior agreement.
Where is the course “classroom”?
The Railway Inn, Sandford.
What does the course fee include?
- WSET Level 2 course book
- Level 2 education delivered by an educator of WSET Nominated Educator status who has passed the WSET Wine Educator Programme and WSET qualifications at least one level higher than the level being taught.
- A wide range of wines and spirits to taste – spitting is recommended, so spittoons are provided.
- Loan of ISO professional wine tasting glasses and a numbered tasting mat
- WSET examination fees
- Light lunch prepared by the Railway Inn kitchen (except for evening classes)
COURSE DATES 2018
3 day course:
Monday 16th April
Monday 23rd April
Monday 14th April – last day and exam
Either call 01934 708312 Tuesdays to Saturdays inclusive between 9.30am and 6.30pm;